A hero of the Christchurch terror attack died trying to wrestle the gun from the shooter, it has been claimed.
Naeem Rashid was badly wounded as he selflessly launched himself at the shooter to protect fellow worshippers, say reports.
The father was rushed to hospital after the attack but died and it has since been revealed that his son, Talha, was also a victim of the attack.
Mr Rashid had been worshipping at the Al Noor mosque when the gunman – identified as suspect Brenton Tarrant – opened fire.
After killing 41 at the mosque, the shooter then went to nearby Linwood mosque where he killed another seven.
Another person later died in hospital bringing the death count to 49 with a further 48 wounded.
Mr Rashid’s death was confirmed by his brother, Dr Khursheed Alam, who also confirmed the passing of his 21-year-old nephew.
He told ARY News that the pair were from Abbottabad in Pakistan but it is understood they moved to Christchurch where the father worked as a teacher.
Earlier in the day it was confirmed that at least four Pakistani men were killed in the attack and another five are missing.
Daily Pakistan reported that Mr Rashid was badly injured as he tried to overpower the shooter but hurt himself during the attempt.
The father and son are some of the earliest victim’s of the terror attack to be identified.
Earlier it was revealed how 71-year-old grandfather of nine, Daoud Nabi, had died trying to protect fellow worhsippers.
His son, Omar Nabi, told NBC News how he father had been shot dead in the Al Noor mosque attack.
Omar, who was reportedly at court waiting the arrested suspect’s first appearance, told how his father had thrown himself in front of another worshipper.
Although only three victims have been identified so far, funerals have begun in Christchurch the day after the attack.
The burials started a day after what is the worst ever mass shooting in New Zealand’s history.
The gunman is thought to have broadcast footage of the attack on one mosque in the city on social media.
A “manifesto” was also reportedly posted online, denouncing immigrants and calling them “invaders”.
Funerals are planned on Saturday for some of the victims, several who were born overseas.
In the Islamic faith, burials take place as soon as is possible.
Dozens of people laid flowers at cordons near both locations in the South Island city, which is still rebuilding after a devastating earthquake in 2011 that killed almost 200 people.
It was the worst ever peacetime mass killing in New Zealand and the country raised its security threat level to the highest, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said, adding: “This can now only be described as a terrorist attack.”
“We were not chosen for this act of violence because we condone racism, because we are enclave for extremism.
“We were chosen for the fact that we are none of these things. It was because we represent diversity, kindness, compassion, a home for those who share our values.
“You have chosen us but we utterly reject and condemn you.”