From now till the 2019 NFL Draft requires spot, we hope to showcase as quite a few prospects as doable and examine each their strengths and weaknesses. Most of these profiles will function people that the Pittsburgh Steelers are most likely to have an interest in, when a couple of other folks will be leading-ranked players. If there is a player you would like us to analyze, let us know in the comments under.
#13 Dillon Mitchell/WR Oregon – 6’1/two 197
The Very good
– Very good release off the line, potential to beat press coverage with hand use and burst
– Creates space and break point, good job varying speeds to lull corner and run away at the leading
– All-natural separator on each vertical and underneath routes, speed to stack corners when going deep
– Vertical threat with above typical speed
– Tracks and finds the ball effectively in tight coverage
– Capable of becoming a YAC threat who can make very first defender miss
– Rapid to the tuck immediately after the catch, gets upfield right away
– Adjusts to balls thrown outdoors his frame
– Versatile adequate to play in the slot or on the outdoors
– Higher work blocker who can stalk block and appears to take a lot of pride in it
– Detailed player who does small factors effectively, functions difficult back to the football on underneath routes
– Minor punt return worth
– Reasonably thin-framed and could stand to add some weight
– Inconsistent in most places of his game
– Want to see him regularly catch the ball cleanly
– Does not finish adequate plays and can drop out in combative circumstances, want to see him play stronger and larger
-Is not often physical adequate attacking the football on underneath routes
– Want to see him run by way of routes, not appear for the ball so early
– Only a single year of production, a single year wonder?
– Two-year starter for the Ducks, declared as a correct junior (24 total)
– Profession: 119 receptions, 1710 yards (14.four YPC) 14 TDs
– 2018: 75 receptions, 1184 yards and 10 TDs
– 21 profession punt returns, six yards per try
– Ran four.46 at the Combine, jumped 36.five inches in the vert and 10’2″ broad
– 4-star recruit out of HS, a single of the leading players in his state, chose Oregon more than Alabama, Auburn, and Florida State (17 total delivers)
– Named Tennessee Gatorade Player of the Year, 40 total touchdowns his senior year (20 rushing scores on 64 carries)
– Played point guard on his basketball group, had 5 delivers (Tennessee, Memphis, Cal, Ole Miss, UCLA) ranked as 4 star prospect there also
Mitchell is a single of the Steelers’ confirmed pre-draft guests, an clear sign of some level of interest in his game. And with superior cause. Mitchell has moments of wonderful tape out there. The only issue is that it can appear quite negative in spurts, also. But let’s start with the superior.
Mitchell is a burner who combines that with a sturdy release and the potential to beat press coverage. Tends to make him a plausible “X” receiver. Watch him win the complete route right here, from release to finish.
Capable of creating higher degree of difficulty catches also. Like his a single, higher pointing the football and creating a contested grab along the sideline.
Even though decrease down on the list of factors I care about in a receiver, the Steelers do like their blockers and Mitchell can do it. Like the work on the corner right here. Major of the screen.
He’s a seriously fascinating athlete with a wonderful background. Could’ve quickly played basketball and likely been a star. Like Khari Willis, it seemed to be his very first enjoy, football taking a backseat (an injury his sophomore year of HS kept him off the radar, also). It goes all the way back to 8th grade, Mitchell crossing dudes just about every in this camp.
The Steelers often like these cool backstory players and effectively-rounded athletes so their interest in Mitchell tends to make a lot of sense. That handle, balance, and processing from playing point guard certainly assists on the gridiron also.
The greatest concern I see in his game is inconsistency. It is not that there’s one thing he merely cannot do. He’s quick, superior strength, can make men and women miss, flashes superior hands, all the things you appear for. But it can go the other way, also. Struggled to finish also quite a few plays, like these two against Michigan State.
And I want to see him regularly catch the ball cleanly.
General, I can see the interest in the mid-rounds. Sort of like WVU’s Gary Jennings, although Mitchell has much more time on the outdoors and he’s shown the potential to beat press coverage (the two go hand in hand right here). If they wanted to double-dip, he’s a strong candidate as that second receiver taken.
Projection: Early Day 3
Games Watched: at Arizona State (2017), vs Stanford, at Cal, vs Michigan State