Iranian authorities ordered the evacuation of six additional towns in the southwestern province of Khuzestan, which is extensively impacted by flooding, state Television reported on Saturday.
Gholamreza Shariati, the provincial governor, told state Television that rescue teams are taking residents to nearby shelters, like 3 army barracks.
Evacuation orders came as a new round of heavy rain and floods is anticipated.
Shariati mentioned emergency discharges from dams and reservoirs had been adding to the higher floodwaters, but such measures had been vital to avoid the dams from overflowing or getting catastrophic breaches, with river waters continuing to rise upstream from the province.
Young guys had been asked to stay behind to assistance with rescue operations.
Interior Minister Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli told state Television that some 400,000 people today are at danger out of the province’s population of 5 million.
Eleven towns and scores of villages have been currently evacuated. There have been no evacuation orders for significant cities, like the province’s capital of Ahvaz, which has 1.7 million residents.
There have been no reports of harm to the province’s petroleum facilities, which account for roughly 80 per cent of Iran’s oil production.
70 killed due to flooding
Authorities have place the quantity of dead at 70 people today, as significant flooding has hit the western half of the nation, just after years of drought.
Iraq’s border crossing authority announced Saturday it was closing a single of its crossings with Iran for the reason that of the flooding. In a statement, the authority mentioned al-Sheeb crossing was closed for passengers and commerce just after a request from the Iranian side. The crossing, in Miysan province, is a single of a number of with Iran. It was not clear when it would reopen.
In addition to the heavy rains, widespread disregard for security regulations in creating and road building close to rivers has resulted in heavy harm from the floods.