A former CIA officer has been jailed for 20 years for disclosing military secrets to a Chinese agent, the US justice division says.
Kevin Mallory, 62, was located guilty of quite a few spying offences following a two-week trial final June.
The fluent Mandarin speaker from Leesburg, Virginia, held prime-level safety clearance and had access to sensitive documents.
He was convicted of promoting secrets to China for $25,000 (£19,600).
Proof at his trial integrated a surveillance video which showed him scanning classified documents onto a digital memory card at a post workplace.
He also travelled to Shanghai to meet with a Chinese agent in March and April 2017, the justice division mentioned.
- The churchgoing patriot who spied for China
“Mallory not only place our nation at fantastic danger, but he endangered the lives of [people] who place their personal security at danger for our national defence,” US lawyer Zachary Terwilliger mentioned in a statement.
“This case ought to send a message to anybody thinking of violating the public’s trust and compromising our national safety,” he added. “We will stay steadfast and dogged in pursuit of these difficult but crucial national safety situations.”
The Justice Division mentioned Mallory held a quantity of sensitive jobs with government agencies.
He had worked as a covert case officer for the CIA and as an intelligence officer for the Defense intelligence Agency (DIA).
“This case is 1 in an alarming trend of former US intelligence officers becoming targeted by China and betraying their nation and colleagues,” Assistant Lawyer Common John Demers mentioned following the sentencing.
Earlier this month, ex-CIA agent Jerry Chun Shing Lee pleaded guilty to spying for China. Prosecutors mentioned the naturalised US citizen was paid to divulge information and facts on US covert assets.
And final June, former US intelligence officer Ron Rockwell Hansen was also charged with attempting to spy for China.
He attempted to pass on information and facts and received at least $800,000 (£600,000) for acting as a Chinese agent, the justice division mentioned at the time.
CIA spy operation in China: Crucial dates
- 2010: Facts gathered by the US from sources deep inside the Chinese government bureaucracy commence to dry up
- 2011: Informants commence to disappear. It is not clear irrespective of whether the CIA has been hacked or irrespective of whether a mole has helped the Chinese to recognize agents
- 2012: FBI starts investigation
- May possibly 2014: 5 Chinese army officers are charged with stealing trade secrets and internal documents from US businesses. Later that exact same month, China says it has been a key target for US spies
- 2015: CIA withdraws employees from the US embassy in Beijing, fearing information stolen from government computer systems could expose its agents
- April 2017: Beijing delivers hefty money rewards for information and facts on foreign spies
- May possibly 2017: 4 former CIA officials inform the New York Instances that up to 20 CIA informants had been killed or imprisoned by the Chinese involving 2010 and 2012
- June 2017: Ex-CIA officer Kevin Mallory is arrested and charged with providing prime-secret documents to a Chinese agent
- January 2018: Former CIA officer Jerry Chun Shing Lee is arrested
- June 2018: Former US intelligence officer Ron Rockwell Hansen is charged with attempting to spy for China