Well, the ending of the second season of Killing Eve, on the Beeb tonight, was true to the series name. Villanelle shoots Eve, who lies on street, apparently dead. Except, that can’t be true, because Killing Eve has been renewed for a third season. So maybe Eve is lying on the street in the other meaning – meaning, she’s fibbing, or the scene is not telling us the truth.
Here, then, are the possibilities:
1. Eve is indeed dead, and we’ll be seeing her next season in flashbacks, or via a heretofore unknown twin. Nah, all of that is way too trite.
2. Villanelle deliberately grazed Eve. She’s unconscious but not badly wounded, certainly not dead.
3. Villanelle tried to kill Eve but her aim was a little off, because love and disappointment clouded her vision. Eve’s unconscious but not badly wounded, certainly not dead.
4. Eve’s not even unconscious. Villanelle missed completely, and Eve is pretending to be dead, hoping/betting that Eve doesn’t send another bullet her way.
4a. Villanelle missed deliberately. She was just trying to make a psychological point.
4b. Villanelle missed because her aim was a lot off. See #3 above for the rest of this.
5. The BBC was lying when they announced that Killing Eve had been renewed. Nah, that’s ridiculous.
So the truth of what we saw tonight, to be brought out in the open in Season 3, resides somewhere from #2 to #4a. I’ll see you here next year with more.
See also Killing Eve 2.1: Libido and Thanatos … Killing Eve 2.2: Villanelle as Victim … Killing Eve 2.3 Lipstick … Killing Eve 2.6: Billie … Killing Eve 2.7: Death and Sex
And see also Killing Eve: Highly Recommended (Season 1)