Why donate blood?
Blood is important for all times. It accommodates parts that transport oxygen all through the physique and likewise battle an infection. There isn’t a man-made substitute for blood. It is just made within the physique. Many sufferers rely upon life-saving transfusions for various medical circumstances, reminiscent of surgical procedure and most cancers remedies.
A wholesome physique can regenerate, or make extra, blood in about four to six weeks. Donating one pint is a small quantity of the physique’s whole blood provide. Sometimes, there are about 10 to 12 pints of blood in an individual’s physique.
Who can donate blood?
You should be at the very least 17 years previous in Florida (or at the very least 16 years previous with parental/guardian consent in Ohio and another states), weigh 110 kilos or extra, and be in good well being. In case you have a chilly or the flu on the day you might be scheduled to provide blood, it is best to cancel your appointment and reschedule as soon as you’re feeling higher.
There are some well being considerations that may quickly forestall you from giving blood, reminiscent of:
- Some drugs
- Low ranges of hemoglobin (the protein in your physique that carries oxygen to cells and carbon dioxide away). If hemoglobin is low, you may need low ranges of pink blood cells (a situation known as anemia).
- Excessive or low blood stress or heartbeat
- Current journey to a rustic with malaria dangers
- Current blood transfusion
- Being pregnant
- New tattoos (solely in some states). In Ohio and Florida, for instance, you don’t want to attend if the tattoo was utilized at a state-regulated institution.
Different well being considerations will completely forestall you from giving blood, reminiscent of:
- Sure forms of hepatitis
- Overseas journey to sure locations throughout sure time frames