Anti-government protesters blocked roads close to Hong Kong’s airport with burning barricades and broken a train station Sunday soon after a evening of violent clashes with police. Train and some bus service to the airport on the outlying island of Chek Lap Kok had been suspended.

Some passengers walked to the airport, a single of Asia’s busiest, carrying their luggage, but some flights had been delayed.

Hong Kong has been the scene of tense anti-government protests for almost 3 months. The demonstrations started in response to a proposed extradition law and have expanded to include things like other grievances and demands for democracy in the semiautonomous Chinese territory.

The protesters complain Beijing and the government of Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam are eroding the autonomy and civil liberties promised when the former British colony was returned to China in 1997.

On Sunday, the MTR Corp. suspended train service to the airport soon after various hundred protesters gathered there following calls on-line to disrupt transportation. They blocked buses arriving at the airport but police in riot helmets kept them out of the terminal.

Hong Kong Protests
Pro-democracy protestors collect outdoors the airport in Hong Kong, Sunday, Sept. 1, 2019. The operator of the express train to Hong Kong’s airport has suspended service as pro-democracy protesters gathered there following a day of violent clashes with police. Protesters gathered at the airport soon after on-line calls to disrupt travel.

Kin Cheung / AP

The government stated some protesters threw objects at police. It also stated iron poles, bricks and rocks had been thrown onto tracks of the airport train.

At least 26 flights from Hong Kong and 17 to the city had been canceled as of 7:55 p.m., the South China Morning Post newspaper reported, citing facts from the airport.

Right after protesters started to stream away from the airport in the late afternoon, some attacked a train station in the adjacent Tung Chung region. They employed metal bars to smash lights and broke open a fire hose valve, sending water gushing across the floor.

Protesters set up barricades on two adjacent streets and set fire to some of them. Firefighters arrived a handful of minutes later to douse the blaze.

Protesters left the region soon after busloads of riot police in green fatigues with black helmets and riot shields flooded into the train station.

The Post reported that drivers of taxis and private automobiles on the toll road from the airport had been choosing up protesters to assist them steer clear of arrest.

Passengers arriving downtown on a ferry from Lantau Island, exactly where Tung Chung is positioned, had been reportedly becoming searched by police and asked for identity cards.