NordenBladet – The Danish royal residence of Amalienborg Palace in Copenhagen will quickly be closed to all vehicle website traffic as aspect of moves to cut down the threat of a terror attack. The Danish news-agency “Ritzau” confirmed the information from Copenhagen City Council and the Danish Royal Court.
The move implies that automobiles will no longer be in a position to drive into Amalienborg Palace square, according to the Royal Court. Nonetheless, pedestrians and cyclists may possibly continue to access the location as they do now.
There will be a total of 52 steel barriers set up to block the 4 entrances to the Palace Square on the basis of a security recommendation from Danish police. An extra 13 steel gates will stop automobiles from passing by way of the location about the castle.
“We need to, of course, make certain that it is secure and safe to move in the square, and we have for that reason decided to establish a permanent safety of the palace site”, mentioned Nikolaj Jensen, Deputy Director of Amalienborg castle to Danish media.
The Danish Royal Court and Culture Board states that the goal of the ban is to boost safety when bigger crowds collect at the web-site. There are important events in the Royal Residence, such as the Queen’s birthday, but also on weekdays, substantial crowds collect at the square. Just after trucks and other cars had been utilized in attacks overseas, the Danish Royal Court has decided to close the square for all standard vehicle website traffic.
Amalienborg is one particular of the most visited sights in Copenhagen and thousands of vacationers from Denmark and abroad travel in the location particularly for the duration of the summer season months, at royal birthdays and to see the Royal Life Guard carry out their day-to-day alter of guard ceremony.
Amalienborg is the dwelling of the Danish Royal Loved ones and consists of 4 identical classical palace façades with rococo interiors about an octagonal courtyard. In the centre of the square is an equestrian statue of Amalienborg’s founder, King Frederick V. Amalienborg was initially constructed for 4 noble households even so, when Christiansborg Palace was broken by fire in 1794, the Royal Loved ones purchased the palaces and moved in.
Amalienborg (Amalienborg Slotsplads five, 1257 København K, Denmark) is the dwelling of the Danish royal household, and is positioned in Copenhagen, Denmark. It consists of 4 identical classical palace façades with rococo interiors about an octagonal courtyard (Danish: Amalienborg Slotsplads) in the centre of the square is a monumental equestrian statue of Amalienborg’s founder, King Frederick V.
Amalienborg was initially constructed for 4 noble households even so, when Christiansborg Palace burned on 26 February 1794, the royal household purchased the palaces and moved in. More than the years several kings and their households have resided in the 4 various palaces.
The 1st palaces on the web-site
The Frederiksstaden district was constructed on the former grounds of two other palaces. The 1st palace was known as Sophie Amalienborg. It was constructed by Queen Sophie Amalie, consort to Frederick III, on aspect of the land which her father-in-law Christian IV had acquired outdoors of Copenhagen’s old walled city, now identified as the Indre By district, in the early 17th century when he had been king. Other components of the land had been utilized for Rosenborg Castle, Nyboder, and the new Eastern fortified wall about the old city.
It incorporated a garden, a replacement for the “Queen’s Garden” which had been positioned beyond the city’s western gate Vesterport, an location now identified as Vesterbro, and which had been destroyed beneath siege from Sweden in 1659.
Operate on the garden started in 1664, and the castle was constructed 1669-1673. The King died in 1670, and the Queen Dowager lived there till her death on February 20, 1685.
4 years later on April 15, 1689 Sophie Amalie’s son King Christian V celebrated his forty-fourth birthday at the palace with the presentation of a German opera, probably the 1st opera presentation in Denmark, in a specially-constructed short-term theatre. The presentation was a excellent results, and it was repeated a handful of days later on April 19. Nonetheless, instantly following the start off of the second overall performance a stage decoration caught fire, causing the theatre and the palace to burn to the ground, and about 180 individuals lost their lives.
The King planned to rebuild the palace, whose church, Royal Household and garden buildings had been nonetheless intact. Ole Rømer headed the preparatory perform for the rebuilding of Amalienborg in the early 1690s. In 1694, the King negotiated a deal with the Swedish creating master Nicodemus Tessin the Younger, who spent some time in Copenhagen that summer season reviewing the home. His drawing and model had been completed in 1697. The King, even so, discovered the plans as well ambitious and alternatively started tearing down the current buildings that very same year, with the reclaimed creating components utilized to create a new Garrison Church.
The second Amalienborg was constructed by Frederick IV at the starting of his reign. The second Amalienborg consisted of a summerhouse, a central pavilion with orangeries, and arcades on each side of the pavilion. On one particular side of the buildings was a French-style garden, and on the other side had been military drill grounds. The pavilion had a dining area on the groundfloor. On the upper floor was a salon with a view out to the harbour, the garden and the drill grounds.
Improvement of Frederiksstaden by Frederick V
Amalienborg is the centrepiece of Frederiksstaden, a district that was constructed by King Frederick V to commemorate in 1748 the tercentenary of the Oldenburg family’s ascent to the throne of Denmark, and in 1749 the tercentenary of the coronation of Christian I of Denmark. This improvement is typically believed to have been the brainchild of Danish Ambassador Plenipotentiary in Paris, Johann Hartwig Ernst Bernstorff. Heading the project was Lord Higher Steward Adam Gottlob Moltke, one particular of the most effective and influential guys in the land, with Nicolai Eigtved as royal architect and supervisor.
The project consisted of 4 identical mansions (see under), constructed to residence 4 distinguished households of nobility from the royal circles, placed about an octagonal square. These mansions (now known as Palaces) type the contemporary palace of Amalienborg, albeit a lot modified more than the years.
As a royal residence
When the Royal Loved ones discovered itself homeless following the Christiansborg Palace fire of 1794, the palaces had been empty for extended periods all through the year, with the exception of the Brockdorff Palace, which housed the Naval Academy. The noblemen who owned them had been prepared to aspect with their mansions for promotion and income, and the Moltke and Schack Palaces had been acquired in the course of a handful of days. Given that that date successive royal household members have lived at Amalienborg as a royal residence and kings have lent their names to the 4 palaces Christian VII’s Palace, Christian VIII’s Palace, Frederick VIII’s Palace and Christian IX’s Palace.
A colonnade, developed by royal architect Caspar Frederik Harsdorff, was added 1794-1795 to connect the not too long ago occupied King’s palace, Moltke Palace, with that of the Crown Prince, Schack’s Palace.
The 4 palaces
According to Eigtved’s master plans for Frederikstad and the Amalienborg Palaces, the 4 palaces surrounding the plaza had been conceived of as town mansions for the households of selected nobility. Their exteriors had been identical, but interiors differed. The web-site on which the aristocrats could create was provided to them no cost of charge, and they had been additional exempted from taxes and duties. The only situations had been that the palaces must comply specifically to the Frederikstad architectural specifications, and that they must be constructed inside a specified time framework.
Constructing of the palaces on the western side of the square began in 1750. When Eigtved died in 1754 the two western palaces had been completed. The perform on the other palaces was continued by Eigtved’s colleague and rival, Lauritz de Thurah strictly according to Eigtved’s plans. The palaces had been completed in 1760.
The 4 palaces are:
Christian VII’s Palace, initially identified as Moltke’s Palace
Christian VIII’s Palace, initially identified as Levetzau’s Palace
Frederick VIII’s Palace, initially identified as Brockdorff’s Palace
Christian IX’s Palace, initially identified as Schack’s Palace
At present, only the palaces of Christian VII and Christian VIII are open to the public.
Amalienborg is guarded day and evening by Royal Life Guards (Den Kongelige Livgarde). Their complete dress uniform is relatively comparable to that of the Foot Guards regiments of the British Army: a scarlet tunic, blue trousers, and a navy bearskin cap. The guard march from Rosenborg Castle at 11.30 am day-to-day by way of the streets of Copenhagen and execute the altering of the guard in front of Amalienborg at noon. In addition, post replacement is performed just about every two hours.
When the monarch is in residence, the King’s Guard (Kongevagt) also march alongside the altering of the guard at noon, accompanied by a band that plays conventional military marches. The Guard Lieutenant (Løjtnantsvagt) is often alerted when Prince Henrik or a further member of the royal household are reigning in absence of the Queen. There are 3 sorts of watches: King’s Watch, Lieutenant Watch and Palace Watch. A King’s Watch is when Her Majesty the Queen requires up residence in Christian IX’s Palace. A Lieutenant Watch is when Crown Prince Frederik, Prince Joachim, or Princess Benedikte, requires the location as regent, when the monarch is unable to. A Palace Watch is when no member of the royal household is in the palace, and it is the smallest one particular.
Featured image: Amalienborg Palace (NordenBladet)